Monday, September 30, 2013

Delizioso! Gelato Making Class @ Mia Chef Gelateria NYC

Happy Monday my sweets! I know Mondays are terrible, and I wish I could just crawl back up in my warm and cozy bed to snuggle with my baby Leo. Let's buck up and take on the week with a scoop of creamy and refreshing gelato from Mia Chef Gelateria!


Last week, Allan and I went to a gelato making class and brought home 8 pints of gelato! I thought it would be much harder to make, but making gelato was fun and easy.
But seriously, come over. I told Blake (my roommate) he couldn't have any but, I will make an exception for you ;)






I wore my cute ass Homies Sweatshirt from Urban Outfitter: $59


Headed up to 27th and 3rd avenue. Small hole in the wall filled with goodies!



This babe is will greet you at the door to serve you.


Mia Gelateria taught me to always try the pistachio flavor at the various gelato establishments around town because, pistachio is the essential flavor to any gelateria. So if you're eating "Kelly" green pistachio gelato, it probably isn't authentic, and it should't be very/super green in color.  

'

We eagerly waited for the chef's arrival so we could begin our class...



Until we finally headed down the basement stairs...



where we found ingredients!
1. Skim Milk Power $9
2. Mia's Spice (smells like vanilla) $16
3. Dextrose $9
4.23% Cocoa Powder $9
5. 12% Cocoa Powder $9
6. Gourmet Gelato making Kit $69

You can find the recipes we used here.



And we found Chef J! 


Chef J taught us everything about proper gelato making in under two hours. He was incredibly informative and I couldn't possible summarize everything he told me behind the magic and history of gelato making. 
One thing I think everyone should know is that, real authentic gelato isn't supposed to be as creamy as iced cream is. One of my favorite gelato places in the entire world used to be Grom. I still love Grom but, I love them a bit less now knowing what REAL gelato is supposed to be like.


I felt a bit silly after pouring double the amount of cream listed on the recipe...


It's cool though, because Allan came to the rescue as usual.


He evened out all the recipe for us hehehe...




All you need to do is mix the ingredients listed and put it in the machine!


This is the state of the art, Rolls Royce of Gelato machine from Carpigiani. Around $20k.
This is what you need to make it real, and make it good.


Cookies and Cream - Oreo flavored :)





I know I have the cookies & cream pic above but I want to note that we made the Vanilla flavored gelato first when we started the class. In most establishments, they start by making Vanilla flavored gelato and will then build the flavors up from there. For example you will make the vanilla first, then add cocoa powder to make chocolate, and then will add something else to make the flavor more exotic than that.  If you suffer food/nut allergies, gelatos may not be the treat for you because it would be almost impossible for them to separate and control the nuts/ingredients for each flavor. They would have to break down and clean the machine each flavor in order to keep it completely anti-allergenic.    







He packs up all the pints of Stracciatella and then we move on to CHOCOLATE.













Flavors we made include: Stracciatella, Chocolate, Cookies & Cream, Snickers :)



Peanut Butter flavor for Snickers!



Bathe it in Caramel + Nuts.


And don't forget the Hot Fudge!








If you care to know, Allan is wearing a Dolce & Gabbana hoodie I got him for his Birthday. 


Allan and I had a super fabulous time and I'm surely not mad about the 8 PINTS of gelato we got from the class (4 pints per person). I purchased this experience via Living Social and we had a blast for $60 (for the two of us). It's hard to be a couple in NYC because everything is so damn expensive but, you can save a few bucks by doing something like this instead of a $200 Dinner. Cute little deals like these are good for our wallets and stomachs.  

Well, ta ta for now!

XOXO





No comments :

Post a Comment