Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Channeling My Inner Julia Child - DIY

Halloween and football season is approaching, and here are two DIY dessert ideas for my friends and family. This all started after my visit to Royce Chocolate (remember this post) and saw the $17 price tag on the chocolate covered potato chips that I love. Honestly, $17 is pretty expensive for snacks so I went and made them myself for $7 (just the chocolate covered chips), and even shared them with my bf's family!

via pinterest

Each bag of chocolate is around $3-$6 depending on where you buy them, the strawberries were $5.99 for 2 lbs where I bought them, and the a bag of Ruffle's Potato Chips cost around $3.49. Making Chocolate covered strawberries or chocolate covered potato chips at home is super easy, and will only take you 30 minutes!


via Pinterest
Things you will need for chocolate covered strawberries:
Baking pans
Aluminum foil
Spam (cooking spray) / or replace with oil/butter
White Chocolate Morsels 12 Oz 
 Semi-Sweet chocolate Morsels 12 Oz
Around 2 pounds of Stawberries

For Chocolate Covered Potato Chips recipe, just replace the strawberries with potato chips.
The serving size is a bit hard for me to say since I took the desserts I made to my boyfriend's parents house for all to share. We shared with 6 people and it seemed to be enough for everyone. 

Instructions

Step 1. Pour your chocolate morsels (white or brown, your choice) into a medium sized bowl and microwave for about 1 minute. Microwave longer if needed, but be sure to monitor the chocolate every 10 seconds after the first minute to make sure you do not burn the chocolates. When you take the chocolates out, the morsels may still seem like they are in hard form. Just use a spoons to mix and melt the heated chocolate and the morsels should melt easily inside the bowl.

Step 2: Line your baking pan with aluminum foil and spray some Spam, or smear cooking oil on the foil to insure your strawberries do not stick to the pan. 

Step 3: Dip your strawberries (or Chips) into the Chocolate!



Step 4: Lay your Strawberries/chips out on the pan. I threw on a bit of confection sugar just to be fancy ;)

Step 5: Put your sweets in the refrigerator for 15 minutes and voilà, you are finished.
All ready to proudly serve. It's amazing how something so delicious, can be so simple to create!




Below are some fun Chocolate covered Strawberries and Potato chip pictures/ideas via Pinterest. You can make these scrumptious treats in all kinds of themes and colors to suit your party. I always seek advice from pinterest before I start a DIY project.
 :)









Now go and show everyone your inner Julia Child!

XOXO







No comments :

Post a Comment