Monday, September 16, 2013

Building Hope with Homes + Brad Pitt - NYC Habitat for Humanity

Hello my turtle doves, I have missed your pretty faces. I have been a bit busy lately trying to handle my business and, I hope you all missed me too. Let me tell you all about why I was out of totally out of commission all of this past weekend. 

I was hanging out with Brad Pitt...




Yes, even Brad reps Habitat - via People 
Haha, just kidding. But I did do something even better than hanging out with Brad :) Shame on you for just clicking in to see him.

On Friday, my company took the day to partner with Habitat for Humanity and do something more charitable than just donating money. We raised money in the office of course, but we took the day and headed out to Queens, New York to get our hands dirty. I decked myself out in my corporate gear and headed out to Laurelton, Queens to start a full day of hard work. I was happy I got the chance to go out and help out the borough that once raised me when I was a wee one (throws it up for Elmhurst, Queens).

via Hogophotonyc
Habitat for Humanity New York City is the largest builder of Habitat homes in the Northeast. Habitat‐NYC's first project in New York City began in 1984 with Jimmy Carter's visit to the Lower East Side. We now build in all five boroughs of New York City, and thousands of volunteers take part each year.



We were invited to help rehab 2 affordable, single family homes formerly owned by the NYC Housing Authority and sold to Habitat for $1 a piece. After the volunteers rebuild the homes, these houses are sold to low income families for no profit. How amazing is that? 


Each of us were all assigned to different projects...I was assigned to work on one of the two houses. We ripped up the old layers of flooring, removed interior trims, removed all the windows, dry wall, broke up the insulation, and did an entire sweep of the house. Hammers, crowbars and power tools were everywhere, and even though I could summarize the work in a paragraph, the labor was incredibly arduous. I sound like a ninny, but I tried my best and almost threw my back out. I was so sore, I really couldn't go out the rest of the weekend.

See the dirt on my face? Haters are gonna love this pic of me. What can I say, not everything can be glamorous ;)
 Leave your Louboutins at home.


“How often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”



Ahhh I broke out in hives from the insulation/dust that was all over my arms NBD. Minor Hiccup.


Took a break for some Fuel...

Oh my Goodness, how Lucky am I? When was the last time you had snacks likes these?

It was the least glamorous but, one of the most fabulous days I have had in a while. The staff from Habitat/AmeriCorps were all super fun, friendly, instructive and totally made the best of our experience. We had some good laughs while we worked together rebuilding homes and futures for families in need. 

“The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful then a thousand heads bowing in prayer.” 

Fall is the season for giving back.

XOXO





No comments :

Post a Comment