Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Bib + Tuck, Inc. - Cool Shit But Shipping is a Bitch

Today I want to share with you my positive and negative thoughts on an online fashion community/e-commerce website called "Bib + Tuck". Last winter, my friend Ashley told me about this trendy pair of girlfriends (Sari A. and Sari B.), who started this invite only clothing bartering website. 

What my Bib + Tuck Page looks like


via Marie Claire
Ashley is always up to date on cool new start-ups by young and creative entrepreneurs, so I decided to use the invitation Ashley sent me to sign up and see what it was all about. The website is a marketplace for women to sell and buy their used clothing and accessories using the terms "Bib" (sell) and "Tuck" (buy). The Sari girls have definitely found a way to create a trendy new platform/extension for the online shopping community users but, I am not too sure that their way is any better or more sophisticated than the time tested and popular online consignment sites like the Vestiaire Collective or Shop-Hers.



In the past few months I sold about 10 items of my own and used the "Bucks" I earned to "Tuck"/buy 6 items that once belonged to another trendy individual. You have to remember that this website is not used to get rid of all your crappy or cheap clothing you no longer want in your closet, because no one will buy your shit. Much like a well thought out boutique, your Bib + Tuck store should carry some of your nicest pieces that you are sad to part with, but want to let go of in order to make room for new treasures. I recently "Tucked" the cutest little Manolo Blahnik Booties and cannot wait to wear them. I have definitely have had some good experiences with B+T but, sometimes you will get screwed over and it will cost you. I also recently Tucked a Marc Jacobs sweater dress that was supposed to be an extra small (but was noted that the dress runs a bit big) in size. When I received the sweater, it was marked "xs", but the dress was like a size 10 when I tried it on. I tried taking the dress to the cleaners to see if they could shrink it, but they said they couldn't because of the delicate fabric. When I emailed the Bib + Tuck Team to asked if I could return the item, a rep told me I would have to ship it back to them for a "buck" refund (You will never get a cash refund). I spent $24 of my own real money on shipping the item back to them (original cost of the item was $85), and was extremely disappointed of the inconvenience and cost. The buying/selling/return process is too time consuming and can be quite stressful. They should totally make an app to make things easier.
Looks cute right? I swam the English Channel
in this over-sized number: $85 "Bucks" Mac by Marc Jacobs via Bib + Tuck
I spent $24 bucks to ship this baby back to where it came from.

Bought this for $18 "bucks" and it's totally cute but, the color is actually a lot more mustard in reality :(
I am planning on using up the rest of the "Bucks" I have left over and then unfortunately planning on eventually quitting Bib + Tuck. Overall I love their mission to recycle clothing and create environmental awareness about the labor and resources that go into making an item of clothing. I also love that the girls seem to represent a trendy and creative scene by constantly curating a sense of contemporary/modern yet edgy style, rather than representing only popular designers, however, their business model seems to be more suitable for a wealthier woman, than for the working-class mainstream girl. Once you actually use the website you will realize that standard shipping is $9 for each item you buy (lightly weighing items) and $12 for heavier items up to 3 pounds (anything over you will have to shell out of pocket). You only pay for shipping if you buy an item, but you must walk to the local post office to ship your items. Bib + Tuck claims the shipping system is fairly easy since they send their sellers a pre-shipping label to take to the post office, however, many times I went, I got turned away because the shipping label stated incorrect shipping dates and, or, had to pay if the package weighed over 3 pounds (B+T had no solutions to these issues). After a while of trading via Bib + Tuck, the shipping process and cost was getting just too inconvenient and expensive to use. For instance, if I want to buy 3 items from 3 different people in one transaction, I would still have to pay shipping for each item per individual ($18-$36 to ship). I bought 5 items this past month and have shelled out over $50 just in shipping and the incentive does not seem to work for me. Swapping clothes for free is great but, not at their shipping rates. If you want re-vamped vintage clothing or are just looking for someone to help you with high fashion and contemporary styling, I suggest you try V-Files. You can look for free :)

Well that's my recap on Bib + Tuck! If you know of any other cool and trendy websites, be sure to let me know and I'll be sure to check it out and we can swap stories! XOXO

Goodies that I sold on B+T:

Michael Kors Heels sold for $10 "Bucks"
Quilted Marc Jacobs Rain Boots
Sold for $50 "Bucks"
Zara Quilted Mini Skirt
Sold for $25 "Bucks"
Tory Burch Sandals
sold for $50 "Bucks"

ASOS sunnies
Sold for $30 Bucks

No comments :

Post a Comment