Monday, June 16, 2014

Take Control - Korean BBQ @ Bann Restaurant NYC

“Pull up a chair. Take a taste. Come join us. Life is so endlessly delicious.” 
― Ruth Reichl



Sizzle Sizzle! It's time for some Korean BBQ homies.
Last week, I went on a double date with my sister and her man, Mr. Love.


I wore these awesome ASOS Floral Overalls on SALE and I absolutely love them. Super soft and comfortable to wear, I snagged this baby for a bargain price of $28.58!
Originally $72.41, they are still in stock and you can get yours here.






We met at Bann Restaurant & Lounge in midtown west for some delicious Korean food.
Each table comes with it's very own smokeless tabletop grill and you grill your own meat and veggies. 
Korean BBQ is always fun and interactive for everyone at the table.
Bann is great for an updated/modern version of traditional Korean BBQ. They are not as authentic as they claim to be, but they definitely throw in a modern adaptation to create a enjoyable experience for your party.


Bann is brought to you by the same people that own Woo Lae Oak in Soho, Los Angeles & Beverly Hills, so stop by if you're in the mood.
I had a dry Sake martini while Christina enjoyed some champagne, and the boys sipped on their pink Lychee martinis.


To start, we ordered the delightful Cham Chi Hwe:
ahi tuna sashimi with a citrus, soy & chili marinade over sliced asian pear.


Super delicious, everyone loved the marinated sashimi and pear combo.

You'll also notice that our dinner included a lot of veggie and seafood option. That's cuz my silly sis is a pescatarian. That's right homies, she will not eat animal flesh. I support her lifestyle of course, but I like to annoy her once in a while and taunt her by reminding her that "real girls eat meat".






We also ordered the vegetarian DUK BOKKI to share: rice cake sauteed in a spicy red chili pepper sauce.
Not too spicy, and just a tad sweet! 


I was away for my birthday weekend at the end of May, so this dinner was a little belated bday dinner.
In between courses, I opened my bag of goodies.


I got a beautiful rose-gold bracelet, handmade goat's milk lotion, and a handmade soy candle that just smells magnificent. Sisters are the best because they always know to get you the cutest stuff that you would normally steal from their bedroom.

On a side note, people always seem to get a bit confused when we tell them we are sisters. "How do you know each other?", is a common question people ask.  Most people often think we are just best friends, pretending to be sisters and just play along. Sometimes, people start asking very awkward/uncomfortable questions about our family dynamic, which can be rude in most social settings.

"Family" comes in many different shapes and forms. 
I grew up in group homes and a foster home most of my childhood, so my version of family is not the most conventional.  Either way, she's my sister from another mister and we wish more people could be a little more open minded, and less invasive upon meeting us.


Mr. Love and my booski are both very quiet individuals. They are no mute by any means, but are usually pretty tame no matter where they go. Xtina and I on the other hand, are maniacs and can be quite a handful when you put us together. These gentle men end up being the perfect yin to our yang.


Before we knew it, our main course had arrived. Plates of fresh veggies came out, along with a plate of meat and seafood options.


We ordered the Medium BBQ Platter for all of us to share:  Assortment of Kal Bi (beef short ribs), Bul Go Gi (beef rib eye), Sae Woo (shrimp), and Yun Aw (salmon).


We also ordered a large plate of Bo Sot: shitake mushrooms.


We unleashed our inner chef and threw a bunch of stuff on the grill! 


Once you hear the sizzling, delicious and savory scents fills the entire restaurant.


You chat, you grill, and not a single person is bored at the table.
It was the perfect amount of food for the four of us.








We left room for dessert too of course!
I had something called the Tropical Snow: Shaved coconut ice with jellied fruit, sweet beans, coconut ice cream and vanilla anglaise.
It's Bann's version of a very popular korean dessert called Pat Bing Soo.


I mashed it all together and scarfed down the entire ice bowl!
The jellied fruit was what I liked the most about this dessert.

Christina and Mike shared  the Soju Banana Sabayon: soju and banana infused whipped custard with mixed berried and sweet sesame cookies.

I took a scoop out of their bowl and it was totally delish! 





Allan ordered his favorite green tea ice cream. You can't go wrong with this classic number.




It was a super fun dinner! 
I told the boys to give me a crazy pose and this was all I could get out of them haha.


We had no problem acting a fool of course.






I wish I had known this before we went but there is a Groupon for Bann that would have saved us a couple of beans. Click here to get $40 worth of food for $20! Limit is 5 per person. 
Get em while they're hot!

XO

No comments :

Post a Comment