Monday, June 9, 2014

Oh Andros! - Stuart Cove's Diving and more in Nassau Bahamas via Norwegian Cruise Line Part III

“The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish.” – Jacques Yves Cousteau



On our last day in the Bahamas, we spent the day Scuba Diving and scoping out the scene in Nassau. 

Bright and early morning, Allan and I got on a pink shuttle that took us to Stuart Cove's, Nassau's leading full service dive resort. I have never tried Scuba diving before and was a bit frightened to be honest. Luckily, we had great instructors who introduced us to the diving equipment and protocols in a small swimming pool, so we wouldn't freak out during the real thing. After successfully completing the introductory training, I was able to complete my very first ocean dive.

Allan seemed to be having a good time but, I was scurred homies. Scuba gear is not the most comfortable to wear or maneuver. Once we were in the ocean, I felt a slight sense of panic coming over me and I didn't really know how to overcome it at first. It didn't help that my weight belt was slightly off, and I was weighed down much more on one part of my body so I couldn't get my balance on. After signaling to the instructor that there was a problem with my belt, she quickly came and readjusted my belt and I started to feel more comfortable. Once I saw our small group slowly swimming off to see one of the ship wrecks, I calmed myself down and followed the crew. 
Allan stayed close to me and kept signaling at me to see if I was alright, and it definitely made me feel a lot better about being under the sea.

I've always wanted to go diving so I'm really glad I was able to overcome my fears and complete the dive. There was a young lady in our group who had to swim back up to the surface right after we went under, so I was proud of myself for sticking with it all the way through.

If you are in the area, be sure to stop by Stuart Cove's and try diving! It's definitely a great experience you will never forget. 
If you want to try something less intense, they have snorkeling and a bunch of other things you can do in the water with the fishies.

After our adventurous morning under the ocean, we got out of our wet suits and decided to have a casual stroll around downtown Nassau.

Behind us, is the Atlantis Paradise Island. It is a resort and water park created by South African hotel magnate Sol Kerzner and Kerzner International Limited. We wanted to stop by, but we noticed that it was mostly families with young children headed towards the water park, and decided we wanted to have a more local experience for the rest of the day.

The sun was beaming in the sky and there were strips of stores along the way just begging for us to come in.

We obliged of course! We visited all the stores from Gucci, to all the touristy gift shops.

Duty Free! We came home with a bunch of souvenirs, including loads of Tortuga Rum Cake to share with our friends and family back home.

By lunchtime, we were absolutely starving and heard from a local that Fish Fry was the block we should hit up for the most delicious seafood on the island. He told us that during the holidays, you wouldn't even be able to find a seat at any of the restaurants because there are people spilling out of all corners. Another local at the Havaianas store told us to go to a restaurant called Oh Andros, and so we hopped in a cab to go check it out!

THE FOOD WAS AMAZING! The portions were large and the flavors just exploded in our mouth. If you are looking for a fancy experience, this is definitely not the place to be. But if you're in for a local experience, I think it was the perfect place to grab a giant bite. The picture above is the fried grouper plate with salad, and plantains. Homies let me tell you, It was to die for. It might be the best grouper I've ever had in my life. 

The snapper was also delicious but can't compete with the grouper. We left no scraps on the plate and had to be rolled out of this fantastic joint.

Before we headed back on the boat, we couldn't leave the island without having the classic coconut experience.

When we finally got back on the boat, the sun was starting to set. A lot of people stayed back on the island pretty late, but Allan and I saw a bunch of other people who had gotten their wallets pick pocketed, and so we decided against staying out past sunset. 





The rest of our vacation would be spent on the cruise ship and it was bittersweet to think we would be back to the hustle and bustle of New York City in just two short days.

Also, in case you were wondering, my shirt and skirt is from Zara. I got lots of complements on my skirt so be sure to get yours before they sell out!

We celebrated with a nice bottle of of Stags' Leap and tried not to think about going back to work.
With wine in hand, we ran around the ship for our very own DIY photo session for our last days on the ship. 



It was overall an EXCELLENT vacation and I hope to be back someday.
Wherever it may be, I already can't wait until my next vacation!

Good luck with your Mondee homies!
Come by tomorrow to see pictures from Rachel & Mike's beautiful spring wedding.

XO




No comments :

Post a Comment