Monday, July 21, 2014

Gato NYC - What to Order and NOT Order

We finally checked out Bobby Flay's new restaurant in Noho. It was aight.



Allan and I heard about Gato from co-workers and friends who visited as soon as they opened shop in March. Everyone had been raving about the chill vibe and awesome food so the hype was pretty real. Last Thursday, Allan and i finally visited Gato and I am sad to report that I was a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the vibe was definitely hip and trendy. Our appetizers were absolutely delightful but I was majorly distressed about the entrees and side dish. Just hear me out...



These drinks don't seem to be on their menu online. I forget what they are called but the dark one is a modified sangria with a bit of seltzer I believe, and the lighter one is a grapefruit vodka cocktail.
Cocktails were great, but I think we should have ordered wine to fit the cuisine type. A good pairing should never go to waste.




To start, we ordered the Crab Risotto and the Roasted Octopus. They were both absolutely delectable.


The Risotto has a rich, smooth, and creamy flavor with a perfectly crusted surface. Perfectly cooked and packed with crab.
CRAB RISOTTO GARLIC BREAD CRUMBS, CALABRIAN RED CHILE 




The octopus was top-notch. Tender and flavorful, it was obvious why everyone loved the dish so much.
ROASTED OCTOPUS SOUR ORANGE, BACON, OREGANO



From the bar we ordered these three:
YELLOWTAIL SALSA TORRES, PIMENTON

LAMB TENDERLOIN SALSA VERDE

EGGPLANT MANCHEGO, OREGANO, BALSAMIC


The eggplant above was my favorite of the three options. It was easily the best eggplant concoction I've ever had. The balsamic was a palatable touch to the plate.



Yellowtail was perfectly cooked.


I am not the biggest fan of lamb but this small bite was definitely appetizing and I enjoyed the dish very much.


The service was great. The food promptly came out rather quickly and we didn't have to wait long for each course. The bar area was crowded with people looking for open tables (there weren't any) and the vibe was energetic.


Allan went for the halibut, while I went for the seafood fettuccine. We also decided to share a side of crispy potatoes. 

It starts to go a bit downhill from here so brace yourselves homies.


CRISPY POTATOES POACHED EGG, SMOKED PAPRIKA, PARMIGIANO

Someone please bring me some water because I am so parched I could just die.
This potato side dish was the saltiest dish I have ever had in my entire life. This dish should come with a warning label that says "CAUTION. MIGHT RESULT IN HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE/HEART PROBLEMS."

I know, I know. I should have sent it back blah blah blah. But do you really want to eat more after destroying your palate with a bag of salt?


STEAMED HALIBUT SICILIAN OLIVES, MINT, ANCHOVY, SAFFRON-TOMATO BROTH,
COUS COUS

I took a bite and it was quite dry. I know what you're thinking. How could it be so dry around all that cous cous broth? You tell me homies. It wasn't as flavorful as I wanted it to be and it just wan't pleasant to the taste. Maybe the restaurant was just getting busy and they chose to rush the food? Whatever the excuse, I found it hard to enjoy the main course. 



FRESH FETTUCCINE SQUID INK, SPANISH RED PRAWNS, MUSSELS, GREEN ONION SAUCE

Tsk tsk tsk...
Looks good right? Underneath the shrimp lies a heap of black, black fettuccine dipped in squid ink.
The shrimp was actually lovely but it's about the only thing I liked about my plate. The Fettuccine itself was also too salty. Someone (cough cough Bobby Flay) in the kitchen seems to be a bit salt heavy if you ask me.
Apart from it being salty, the black squid ink overpowered everything else about the dish and it turned my mouth black! Definitely not sexy. I want to like Gato, I really do.




Allan actually did not have too much problem with his dinner experience. He agrees that the potatoes were way too salty, and didn't really eat/enjoy the fettuccine. He liked his halibut nonetheless, and continued to be a happy camper. Maybe my delicate Asian palette have gotten a bit too sensitive for my own good.
We had a great time either way and enjoyed the evening. There was still dessert to look forward to after all.



A nice chilled glass of Rosé also put me in a better mood.




We goofed around for a bit more and finally ordered dessert. We decided to share one in case it was a disaster like the crispy potatoes.


FROMAGE BLANC CHEESECAKE BLOOD ORANGE SAUCE, ALMOND CRUST


Allan is smiling because the cheesecake was tasty. Seriously, no complaints. The cheesecake was delish and we devoured every bite.




If I ever go back, I think I will just stick to the bar food and appetizers. With a bottle of nice wine, I think this place could have been a perfect light snackin' date spot for us. The price is actually affordable, but not cheap. we spent a bit over $200 for the two of us.
To be honest, I would take my money elsewhere just because I want to enjoy my meals in its entirety.
I recommend Salinas in Chelsea. Allan and I loved everything we ate there and I can guarantee it will be a sexy and romantic night out.

Good luck with your Mondee homies.
XO


2 comments :

  1. Hi Christine,

    My apologies for the levels of salt in the food. We had a different sous chef last week.

    ReplyDelete