Monday, April 14, 2014

Into the Wild: Perfect DYI Twig Terrarium Kit


Happy Mondee Homies. Today, I bring you a little DIY action inspired by the Flower Show in Philly that I visited last month. I have always wanted to have a little garden of my own where I could grow peppers, tomatoes and other tiny edible plant species but as you all know, most apartments in NYC don't come equipped with wholesome gardens and cute backyards. To fill my void, I decided to get creative and grow something super easy to maintain.
Trust me Homies. Terrariums are trendy :)
Even West Elm has their own "How to Make your Own Terrarium" Collection.


Terrariums aka Vivariums, are eye-catching and perfect  for perking up your indoor space. Terrariums are so easy to make and it's a great source of oxygen for your tiny apartment! To keep them alive, all you need to do is keep it in a well-lit areas and mist a bit of water into it every two weeks or so.


 Allan and I got our DYI kit at the Twigterrarium pop-up shop at the flower show. They also have a cute little shop in Brooklyn and I hope to plan a visit soon to buy a  cute woman figure for my lonely wild man inside my terrarium.


The kit comes with one figure, stones, dirt and all the dry mosses you need to fill a vase/container up to a gallon. The instructions are super easy to follow and should be a quick process unless you are getting super creative on your own!




 First step was to soak the dry moss and make sure they are ready for use.




Once Soaked, and rung out, just place the moss into your container/vase however you want!



Daddy whatcha doing?


Can I play too?



I made Allan do all the heavy lifting since he was more excited to get out Terrarium started.



We bought some pebbles at the store as well for some gravel effect...


Since the kit only came with one man for decorations, we used an old London bus key-chain that I got from London a few years back and detached the rings. 



I also used a mini bull that my soul sister Meggy got me a few years back when she was traveling.
Sometimes, you just have to get creative, and make it work with what you have laying around the house.


We actually love how ours came out. Through our terrarium, we captured the image of the everyday man engaging in a sublime experience with nature. Maybe he was stranded, maybe he chose to run away into the woods...
 Man vs. Beast




What do you think Homies? If you're still not persuaded in trying it out, check out this Buzzfeed post on 21 different ways to make your own adorable terrarium.

XOXO

No comments :

Post a Comment