Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Matilda on Broadway @ Sam S. Shubert Theatre NYC 2013

Recently, Allan and I went to go see Matilda on Broadway and it was FANTASTIC! It was so charming and so unforgettable, I may have even felt a glisten of tear welling up at one point. I grew up watching the movie and I too, stayed up under the covers wishing I had magical powers to punish the adults who were so selfish and unfair. When I was a tiny little one, I recorded this movie <-- on top of an old VHS tape and watched it over and over again. The musical was just as spectacular, not just because of Roald Dahl's genius script, but because of the amazing actors, set design, and music. The show revived my love and affection for dear old Matilda and I would watch it again a hundred times more. I still hear their tunes playing in my head.


Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse. -Roald Dahl




Honestly, I don't think that the show itself is exclusively catered to/made for children. Trunchbull (played by a man -Chris Hoch- in the show) is actually a super scary, and I would assume a lot of the dark, yet realistic context of the script is really meant to be fully recognized and appreciated by adults. It's not just for kids ;)

via RSC

via RSC

I mean, I could go on for hours about how great the show is, and how they break the "fifth" wall by making the show quite interactive with the audience. I won't torture you with the deets. But really though, I think you should go see it.

  

Love this song. Thank you Tim Minchin #Childhood

Love my whiskey. #ontherocks



I also love the theatre district. It is always so bright and full of life. There are always new dreams and excitement lighting up the streets. You never know what could happen, it's New York City baby.





They say neon lights are bright on Broadway. They say there's always magic in the air... Like George Benson says, don't quit till you're a star on Broadway. Funny thing, it used to be my dream to be a singer on Broadway. I used to put on my cute pink dress and sing for my grandmothers friends while they played Go-Stop and snatched tips from them before they lost all their money. Eventually, I went to college, hated the whole acapella experience, and found other things that sparked my interests and opened my eyes up to new dreams. What do you dream of?  



XOXO




No comments :

Post a Comment